Benefits at a glance
- Unlimited complexity – you only pay for the first hole
- No expensive hard tooling required
- Low-cost design iterations – fast
- Burr and stress-free – metal temper and magnetic properties unaffected
- Lead-times in days, not months
- Virtually any metal
- Accuracy to ±0.025mm
What is acid etching?
Acid etching, also known as photo etching, chemical etching or chemical milling, is a sheet metalworking technology which uses acid etchants to machine complex, highly accurate precision metal components.
The process offers a fast, low-cost alternative to stamping, laser and water jet cutting when machining complex, accurate components from almost any thin gauge metal to 1.5mm thick.
Acid etching benefits
- Acid etch tooling is digital, meaning component designs can be set-up quickly and optimised without financial penalty.
- No heat or mechanical force is used during etching, meaning material properties are unaltered and components are produced burr- and stress-free.
- Almost limitless part complexity is achievable, with accuracy to ±0.025mm
What metals can be acid etched?
We can etch almost any metal. Typical stock metals include:
- Steel and stainless steels
- Nickel and nickel alloys
- Copper and copper alloys
- Titanium and titanium alloys
- Other specialist metals including molybdenum and polyimide metallised film
We also work with customer supplied metals. Please contact us for more information.
Precision Micro: The market-leading acid etching company
We have been at the forefront of etching technology for more than 50 years, investing in dedicated equipment and pioneering new technologies to ensure an optimal etching service for our customers.
Here are a few reasons why our customers partner with us
- Unrivalled know-how – Precision Micro has pioneered acid etching for over half a century
- Proven capability – AS 9100, IATF 16949, ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and ISO 14001 accredited
- Largest capacity – 44,000 sq ft state-of-the-art etching plant
- Material know-how – we specialise in etching hard-to-machine metals
- 2,000+ metal variants – standard and specialist material types and grades
- Global support – we have sales offices and partners in locations that enable us to respond quickly to demand
- Added value – we offer a number of additional services, including wire EDM, electropolishing, forming, finishing and plating